Starting in the center with card one, then place card two horizontally across card one (noting which direction is “top” if you’re using reversals). Starting directly underneath them, in a clockwise motion, line each edge of the cards in the center with cards three to six to form a cross. To the right in line with and ascending from the bottom of the cross, place cards seven to ten (or 11 if you want an outcome clarifier) in a vertical line.
Cards count: 11
- Card 1 - The Querent / The Significator
- Card 2 - Obstacles, hinderances and challenges that are “blocking” the situation/inquirer.
- Card 3 - The Surface / Conscious Influences / Conspicuous Influences
- Card 4 - The Root / Subconscious Influences / Hidden Influences
- Card 5 - The Past
- Card 6 - The Near Future
- Card 7 - The Attitude of The Querent/The Significator
- Card 8 - The Environment of The Querent/The Significator
- Card 9 - Hopes & Fears of The Querent/The Significator
- Card 10 - The Outcome
- Card 11 - The Outcome (clarifier)
Very similar custom tarot spreads
The cross spread using only 6 cards for a simplified version of the Celtic cross spread.
Cards count: 6
1) Your experience to date;
2) Where you are now;
3) The near future;
4) You in the environment of the near future;
5) Best you can hope for;
Adapted from Quiero Aprender Tarot YouTube Channel. It’s a Celtic cross simple version. For relationships spreads.
Cards count: 6
1) Central connecting card;
2) You - Partner 1 (right side);
3) Partner 2 (left side);
4) Past of the relationship (above);
5) Immediate future of the relationship (downside);
6) Final advice card.
The version of the Celtic cross I prefer
Cards count: 10
1) This covers him (where he is now);
2) This crosses him (his obstacles);
3) This is above him ( what he wants for his own);
4) This is beneath him ( what is already his own);
5) This is behind him ( his recent past);
6) This is before him ( near future);
7) His attitude and personality at the time;
8) Other people and outside influences;
9) His hopes and fears;
10) Final outcome.